Don’t under estimate the power of direct mail. Especially in this day and age when most of our mail is electronic and the printed collection falls into two core categories: junk mail or bills.
Being a little bit different is the most effective way of really grabbing attention.
Here are a few tips when creating a direct mail marketing piece:
- Be unique – make your mail piece stand out whether it is a coloured envelope, a custom design, different size or shape or even interactive (special pull tabs or way to open the envelope/package).
- Make it personal – addressing your marketing to an individual person will help increase the connection and send a stronger message; that you want their specific attention. It might take more time and effort to track down individual contacts, but it is well worth the effort.
- Be persistent – brand awareness comes as a result of repeat contact with a company or product. The more times they see your name the more familiar it becomes. A series of marketing pieces works much harder than a one off piece and single point of contact.
- Aim for a reaction – gaining a level of interaction is the most powerful way to ensure your marketing sinks in. Whether you arouse curiosity, create an interactive hands-on piece, offer a deal too good to refuse or are just simply impossible to ignore these are the fastest ways to transform a potential customer into a new customer.
- Maintain your focus – customise your message to focus on how you can make a difference in their life. Focus on their wants and needs – not the other way around.
At Shell Graphix we like to practise what we preach. In over a decade we have only sent a handful of direct mail pieces to companies we have really wanted to work with. Our success rate, on-going commitment and dedication to offering the utmost in customer service has transformed these efforts into a solid client base and diverse range of creative masterpieces.
In 2012 our most recent three-tiered marketing piece includes the following elements:
- Phase 1: An invitation sized, aqua envelope, personally hand-written and addressed to individuals at a variety of companies we would love to spark creativity with – a personalised note and environmentally friendly wind-up key ring torch (branded of course).
- Phase 2: A DL portrait style booklet showcasing our services, primarily focused on what we can do for our clients (in the trademark aqua envelope – DL sized this time).
- Phase 3: Our contact details (complete with ‘elevate’ DIY paper plane) and a personalised letter including an exclusive (limited time) offer. Of course there is the added bonus of discovering that there are still a few companies who really do care about quality, service and the ability (not to mention willingness) to go the extra mile.
Feel like you are missing out? Email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org and it will be our pleasure to send you our introduction pack.
Just remember – direct marketing should be fun, interactive, evoke curiosity, drive the recipient to react and best of all it makes a HUGE IMPACT.